Last night I was complaining about how I have been so busy and I haven’t been doing enough cooking at home, so I asked my son what he wanted for dinner and he said, “Wraps.” I thought that was a great idea! I really like the lettuce wraps from P.F. Chang’s. So good, right!? And a google search for “lettuce wraps” pulls up the recipe as the second link! Sweet! I quickly looked it over and thought 1. I have all almost all of these ingredients, and 2. no wonder we like them–that is a ton of sugar.
So with a few adjustments (in red) here is the recipe:
3 tablespoons oil used olive oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts had thighs in the freezer. I thawed 4.
1 cup water chestnut don’t usually keep these in the pantry. I food processed a half cup of almonds.
2/3 cup mushroom no mushrooms either. skip.
3 tablespoons chopped onions I had about a half cup of diced onions left over from…no idea.
1 teaspoon minced garlic 3 large cloves
4 -5 leaves iceberg lettuce had a small head of boston bibb
So far is would appear we aren’t even making the same thing, but I assure you it turned out very similar!
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar had rice vinegar–sans wine
2 tablespoons ketchup no ketchup in the house. scraped out a container of Applewood Foods bbq sauce.
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot mustard dijon–gray poupon
2 teaspoons water
1 -2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste no red chile paste. put in a shake of red chili pepper flakes. should have used more.
Stir Fry Sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar again, rice vinegar sans wine
1. Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl.
2. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil.
3. Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you’re ready to serve.
4. Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
5. Eventually add your desired measurement of mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over the wraps.
6. Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
7. Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done.
8. Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
9. Keep oil in the pan, keep hot. how is this possible without burning it? I just took the pan off the burner.
10. As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
11. Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
12. When chicken is cool, mince it as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are. The 5 min per side thing wasn’t long enough to cook the chicken, but I diced it anyway and finished cooking it with the sauce.
13. With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil. No need for extra oil.
14. Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan. I added the garlic, onions, & almonds after the chicken had cooked a little more.
15. Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce”cups”.
16. Top with”Special Sauce”. Of which you will need a fraction or you will have “Special Sauce” dripping from your elbows. Which we did.
As I noted, I think it would have been better with more heat and my son didn’t like the lemon in the sauce…
And after we ate, my son tells me that by “wraps” he meant tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, guac, that sort of thing. Oops. It was a delicious mistake that I will be making again.